About This Site
- This web site exists to show respect for the USS Calvert, the men who served aboard her, and their families. The content presented here reflects the history, experiences, and stories of the ship and her crew.
- You may find this site to be of interest if you are generally interested in US Navy attack transports and US Naval amphibious operations from World War II through to the mid-1960s.
Who runs the site?
- This site is maintained and run by Chris Funck (“me” “I”)
- You can contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. I also respond to all comments submitted on the site, typically via email.
Why does this site exist?
- My grandfather, Sterling Funck, served aboard the Calvert from 1942 through 1944 as a landing craft coxswain. You can read his story on the Adventures page. This web site grew out of that work, as well as inspiration from talking to several other former members of the Calvert’s crew and their family members.
- The Calvert also has a very rich history (service during WWII, Korea, Vietnam) that I find to be interesting and worth exploring. I enjoy learning about the Calvert’s history, hearing her crew members’ stories and sharing that information with like-minded visitors.
- I believe the ship deserves a dedicated site to share her history and her crews’ memories and stories.
Technology behind the site:
- Although I work in the software industry, I’m not a developer. The primary technical components behind this site are: WordPress, a slightly modified twentytwelve theme, and a few plugins.
- The site is hosted by Bluehost.
- You are here at your own free will and you may leave at any time.
- The Calvert and her crews served the United States of America during three wars: World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. And yes, only adult males (17+) served aboard Calvert. This means that you may find materials that not suitable to all ages and/or world views. That said, explicit content and inappropriate content (i.e., I know it when I see it.) will not be made public via this site.
- If anything on this site does offend you, then you are welcome to leave. If you wish to send a comment indicating why you are offended, by all means please do so, but please be nice. If I agree with you, I may remove the content you find to be objectional.
- If you post a nasty or hateful comment then it won’t make it onto the site for public consumption. Like I’ve said before, be nice.
- Spam is filtered automatically. It won’t make it onto the site for public consumption.
- If you find something here that you’d like to re-use, please see below (Copyright and Ownership section).
- This is not intended to be a commercial site. It’s a part-time hobby, and except for an occasional “Thank you!” no one is (or will be) compensated in monetary terms for their work or for their contributions. That said, if I find a worthy commercial tie-in (e.g., via ebay or another site), I may choose to link to that site or promote that site/service. However I receive no compensation for driving business to that site/service.
- You are welcome to share your information, stories, and ideas via comments and email. I truly appreciate any correspondence you wish to send.
- I will not share your email or personal information with any party unless you give me permission to do so. E.g., I may ask you if you want to be put in contact with another contributor or visitor to this site who has similar interests or experiences related to the Calvert or her crew.
- I do not, and will not, sell or distribute your information to anyone for commercial purposes.
- If you submit a comment via this site, but you do not want it, parts of it, or your personal information to be published, then just let me know that in the comment. I’ll reach out to you to verify your intent and preferences for what can and cannot be shared publicly.
- If your browser is configured to allow cookies to be stored, then they will be stored on your machine per your browser’s settings. This site does not collect personally identifiable information (“PII”) via cookies from your browser or your computer.
- If you do find your PII on this site and you would like it removed, please let me know and I will do so.
Copyright & Ownership:
- For the most part, the materials on this site are provided by original owners/creators of the photographs, documents, etc., and they have provided permission for the materials to be posted here. Wherever and whenever possible the owner and source of the content is clearly documented.
- All other content found here is believed to be in the public domain.
- If you find your original work here and you would like it to be removed, please use the contact form to contact me and the requested materials will be removed. Simple as that.
- Deep-linking to content on this site is encouraged, but don’t complain if something is moved or deleted and your the link goes dead.
- If you find something here that you’d like to re-use or re-publish in full, contact me and I’m sure we’ll come to agreeable terms. e.g., “Thanks for letting me know. Have at it.” or “I’ll put you in touch with the original owner of the content.”
- Given that navigating the copyright, re-use, and public domain landscape can be confusing at times, here’s a nicely formatted and written summary that I’ve found to be helpful when I evaluate what is made publicly available and posted on this site. Credit goes to Cornell University for their work in attempting to bring transparency and understanding in this area.